When twilight drops her curtain down and pins it with a star, remember that you have a friend though she may wander far.


Sunday, January 31, 2010

mission:survival

"I have come to a frightening conclusion. I am the decisive element in the juvenile (residential) centers. It is my personal approach that creates the climate. It is my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher (care worker), I possess tremendous power to make youth's life miserable or joyous. I can humiliate or humor or heal. In all situations it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated, and the youth humanized or dehumanized."
- Hiam G. Ginnott, Between Teacher and Child: A Book for Parents and Teachers (1972)

I am officially trained and certified to work with my kids now. I am scared to death. Every situation I find myself in can end positively or negatively because of my response to their behavior. The way my group runs is determined by the relationships I build. This is immense pressure.

I have a plan though. My goals every day will be to do the following:

1. Meet the basic needs of my campers.
2. Listen to what they have to say.
3. Learn one thing about a camper each day.
4. Speak only once my camper has had a chance to speak his mind.
5. Role model effective life skills.
6. Find a chance for the campers to have fun each day.
7. Laugh often.
8. Pray more often.

Tomorrow is my first day as an official "chief." Here's hoping I walk in with control of myself and my emotions, so that we can survive the day. Lord, have mercy.

2 comments:

  1. You are strong! I miss you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not wait to read this weeks update! :-) Hang in there Tattoo!

    ReplyDelete