When twilight drops her curtain down and pins it with a star, remember that you have a friend though she may wander far.


Saturday, January 9, 2010

here goes everything.

I did it.

I am currently in Wilmington, North Carolina and only have one leg of my road trip left that will take me to my new life tomorrow.

I have to say that I'm a little shocked that I actually went through with this. A piece of me was worried that I'd pull the same stunt I did 2 years ago when I decided last minute to not follow through with my PeaceCorps committment. Parts of me knew that this was an entirely different situation. 2 years ago, I was just about to graduate from my university and was in a relationship that I thought had great potential. Two years sounded like eternity. I wasn't ready.

Now, I appreciate my opportunities more--and more than that--the opportunity to let God do God's thing. My life has been transformed in the past two years, some for the good, some for the not so good, but at the end of it all, it is more than obvious that there is a greater being at work in my life connecting dots I'll never see.

My friend sent me some incredible encouragement this week as I traveled across the South including the following quote from Alan Alda:

"You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you'll discover will be wonderful. What you'll discover will be yourself."

Tomorrow begins a new chapter in an incredible book that is being written for me. Never in my life would I have pegged this as where or who I would be at 23 years old. Leaving Texas has opened up the world for me. I can do anything, go anywhere, be anyone I want to.

The drive from Texas to North Carolina was incredible. 1800 miles with myself. Well, not just myself. Winter storms, hilariously ironic billboard placements, southern gospel stations (thank you, Tennesee), and facebook kept me company too. There was one point in Texarkana as I was traveling on 30 East headed for Little Rock where there was an exit to go 30 West back to Dallas. For some reason, I panicked and thought to myself, "Turn back! Now's your chance! GO BACK HOME!" The option to turn around was unexpected. Usually, on a highway, you only have one choice--continue on. The signs always lead you to the next city, always countdown to the next happening. Rarely do you get an option to turn around. Once I calmed down and decided to press on, I became grateful for the highway. If I would have flown to North Carolina today, I don't think I would be in such a good place. I needed every single mile of my 1800 mile trip this week. I needed every quiet moment, every snowfall, every stop, every adventure to make it to here and now where I can say, finally:

I am so excited about tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you made it Lyds.

    Now good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia,

    Thank you for inviting me to your blog. What a joy it was to read it!

    Hugs,

    Big Paul

    ReplyDelete