When twilight drops her curtain down and pins it with a star, remember that you have a friend though she may wander far.


Tuesday, August 10, 2010

stick tight. motivate. have no conflict.

30 weeks.

Minutes before I'm supposed to report back for work today, I feel the need to talk about standards.

Before each activity, whether it be walking down trails or going into the classroom, my kids are required to set standards for that activity. So many times, my boys will just ramble out the right words, knowing if they don't say exactly what it is that we are looking for, we will sit there until the right standards are set.

Before we leave anywhere, you'll hear a chief say, "Someone set standards for trails." Immediately, the response is given, "Stick tight. Motivate. Have no conflict." Sometimes I wish the boys would actually listen to the standards they give before moving. Much of my personal growth has come from listening to the standards set by my kids. Standards, not only for trails, but for life.

Stick tight.

Stick with the group. Don't stray from the boundaries. Keep close to the people who know you, who can protect you. If you wander, no one can support you if something goes wrong. If you are within view, no one can accuse you of doing something you had no part of. Surround yourself with a community of people who understand the life journey you're on. We were not created to live alone--we were created to live united.

Motivate.

My favorite standard--Motivate. Walk with a purpose. Walk with a destination in mind. Walk as if something you care about is at the end of the trail. Take initiative. Be determined. Have ambition. Don't let life happen to you, but grab life by the reins, and live it as if it's yours to live.

Have no conflict.

Peace. Peace between you and the person in front of and behind you. Peace between you and the leadership you follow, those who follow your leadership. Peace between you and the trees. The foundation of peaceful living is communication. If there's one thing I've learned in my 24 years of life, it's this: Communication is everything. I said recently to someone I care about, "God gave me many gifts, but mind reading is not one of them." This goes for everyone. Conflict is avoided by communicating--communicating with one another, with Mother Nature, with our own spirit, and with the spirit of God.

So as I march back into the woods this morning, I'm clinging to these standards, hoping that they will lead me in the right direction in the coming months.

Happy 7 month Campiversary to me.

2 comments:

  1. In life I have come to know you as someone who lives these standards out! I love your character and am proud for the woman you are and becoming.

    I know you. I know your character. I know you will utilize these standards in the months to come and in your life.

    Stick tight. Motivate. No conflict. These are my vows to our friendship.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfully uplifting! Thank you for such a great post. I will use it tomorrow. It is now pinned to my door.

    ReplyDelete