When twilight drops her curtain down and pins it with a star, remember that you have a friend though she may wander far.


Sunday, May 16, 2010

georgia on my mind

18 weeks.


I say Georgia, Georgia,

a song of you

comes as sweet and clear

as moonlight through the pines

Other arms reach out to me

Other smiles smile tenderly

Still in peaceful dreams I see

The road leads back to you


Nearly a year ago, I began thinking about making a transition from my current job as the Volunteer Coordinator of the North Texas Food Bank into a job that was more hands-on and that allowed me to be outdoors more often. I had been following the journey of a friend from college who had been working for Eckerd Youth Alternatives. Her job intrigued me, and it seemed that this was exactly what I was looking to do.


I applied online to work at one of three camps under EYA - one in Georgia, one in Tennessee, and the other in North Carolina--thinking that these three states were some of the most beautiful states in our country. The rest is history, and here I am in North Carolina.


To say that I am disappointed in my placement would be far from the truth. I love being within driving distance of big cities, beaches, and mountains. I love the kids in my group, and I love my colleagues. Just this weekend, 8 of us camped out on Carolina Beach, enjoying the company of the ocean, the stars, other (quite eccentric and inebriated) campers, and a lineup of local (fairly awful except for when I was able to play the bongo with them) bands.


However, an opportunity has come up to work at the camp in Georgia where I previously applied. This camp is a private camp (meaning the kids are sent there by schools and families rather than the courts) with more flexible hours (4 days on; 3 days off) and more opportunity for me professionally and personally.

So it looks like I may be moving to Georgia in the next month or so. Stay tuned...

Until then, let's take a moment to honor the great state of Texas. My flight is booked, and I'll be back in 1 month and 2 days!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with this transition Tattoo. Peace and many bear hugs. I will throw a disc for your this weekend!

    ReplyDelete